Tuesday 29 June 2010

In the beginning

This is about the trails and tribulations of a first custom build Sporty built by myself with help from new found friends on a couple of forums (links on here) My Sporty has been in the family since 1997 when I bought the old gal as a bit of a chrome barge, it is my first and will be the last. When people say a Harley speaks to you they are right (at least pre 2K ones dunno about the new ones)I didn't need to ride it a press of the start button did it for me, the dealer not being a sole HD dealer thought I was slightly mad but I just knew. Over the years I have removed about £2K of chrome add ons and over the years bolted on many parts in my quest to find a style that I liked, I've joined and left many clubs as I am quite happy to ride on my own as and when I feel the need. My roots are in Easyrider like a lot of my generation, I was 12 when it came out but never saw it for years but the bikes, especially the Billy Bike was all I needed. My youth was totally obsessed with bikes, choppers in particular but life takes us on a funny path sometimes.Bikes sort of took a sabbatical until I turned 20. I then got back into bikes buying this and that jap stuff then turning 40 I said hang on I was going to own a Harley by now! And so old syd came into my life.I played around with styles and bolt ons but never was happy until I was reading Back Street Heroes 25th anniversary edition and they did a piece on 4 lads who called themselves the camsnappers the bikes were lean mean basic and narrow, which was just what I was looking for all these years so plans were set in place to build myself a basic narrow home grown sporty.

No comments: